Comments
yourfanat wrote: I am using another tool for Oracle developers - dbForge Studio for Oracle. This IDE has lots of usefull features, among them: oracle designer, code competion and formatter, query builder, debugger, profiler, erxport/import, reports and many others. The latest version supports Oracle 12C. More information here.
Cloud Expo on Google News
SYS-CON.TV

2008 West
DIAMOND SPONSOR:
Data Direct
SOA, WOA and Cloud Computing: The New Frontier for Data Services
PLATINUM SPONSORS:
Red Hat
The Opening of Virtualization
GOLD SPONSORS:
Appsense
User Environment Management – The Third Layer of the Desktop
Cordys
Cloud Computing for Business Agility
EMC
CMIS: A Multi-Vendor Proposal for a Service-Based Content Management Interoperability Standard
Freedom OSS
Practical SOA” Max Yankelevich
Intel
Architecting an Enterprise Service Router (ESR) – A Cost-Effective Way to Scale SOA Across the Enterprise
Sensedia
Return on Assests: Bringing Visibility to your SOA Strategy
Symantec
Managing Hybrid Endpoint Environments
VMWare
Game-Changing Technology for Enterprise Clouds and Applications
Click For 2008 West
Event Webcasts

2008 West
PLATINUM SPONSORS:
Appcelerator
Get ‘Rich’ Quick: Rapid Prototyping for RIA with ZERO Server Code
Keynote Systems
Designing for and Managing Performance in the New Frontier of Rich Internet Applications
GOLD SPONSORS:
ICEsoft
How Can AJAX Improve Homeland Security?
Isomorphic
Beyond Widgets: What a RIA Platform Should Offer
Oracle
REAs: Rich Enterprise Applications
Click For 2008 Event Webcasts
Java Risks "Overlooked," says Teamstudio CTO
Java Risks "Overlooked," says Teamstudio CTO

(April 14, 2003) - Anticipating Teamstudio's launch of Analyzer for Java Edition 3, Mark Dixon, co-founder and CTO of Teamstudio, Inc, issued a wake-up call to the Java development community about the inherent, and often overlooked, risks of the Java programming language.

"Java is the best thing we've got at the moment, but it is by no means perfect," asserted Dixon, a visionary who helped to redefine the Lotus/Notes tool market in the late 1990s. "It is still too easy to write code that is difficult to maintain, slow to run, and uses too much memory." He continued, "Attempts have been made to address the shortfalls [of Java]. But generally, they are too expensive, overly complex, and difficult to use."

Teamstudio's software tools specifically address Java's deficiencies. Designed by and for developers, Teamstudio's Analyzer for Java is the first in a powerful suite of low-cost, easy-to-use, agile software tools.

"Unlike idiosyncratic, difficult-to learn and slow-to-deploy products, we have assembled a robust set of intuitive application development tools," said Dixon. "Our customers tell us that while they love Java, they are frustrated with its shortcomings. These frustrations are only exacerbated by the overly complex solutions offered by most software tools vendors. "

Teamstudio Analyzer for Java Edition 3 will be released later this month.

About Java News Desk
JDJ News Desk monitors the world of Java to present IT professionals with updates on technology advances, business trends, new products and standards in the Java and i-technology space.

In order to post a comment you need to be registered and logged in.

Register | Sign-in

Reader Feedback: Page 1 of 1

... but how exactly did it end up as a technical article in a developer's journal? Somebody put their kneepads on for that one.

My KISS solution is to hire skilled OO programmers with an experienced tech lead and then use the tools already proven. It's apparent that this "news" item slipped in when the editor was doing his/her taxes.
I agree with the others that this article is less than useless. The problem statement assumes that companies have hired inept programmers who don't know better: "It is still too easy to write code that is difficult to maintain, slow to run, and uses too much memory."
The problem is a recruiting/training problem!

Please don't fill up my mailbox with crap like that news.

It gives no usefull info except the company has released a new product. You (SYS-CON) should at least publish a link where we can read about the risks: what are they, how they appear on java projects and how to fight them. There's no need for another product promising to cure the cancer and bing world peace.

Let me restate that I agreed to recebve mail from sys-con to get INFORMATION not USELESS MARKETING

"It is still too easy to write code that is difficult to maintain, slow to run, and uses too much memory." - Dixon (self-professed or JDJ-awarded "visionary"? - what Valley spin...)

" Teamstudio's software tools specifically address Java's deficiencies." - no kidding...

It is easy to write code in any language that is difficult to meantain, slow to run and uses too much memory. Most of such code is written by not-so-good programmers. Where's the big surprise here? As long as developers need to develop too quickly, with too little time to design, implement and test properly, and infrastructure guys who still don't know how to run and tune Application Servers, we will see code that takes too much memory, is difficult to maintain, and slow to run... If everything needs to be done on the cheap and too quickly, this will continue, with whichever language might be next. Story of the proprietary software industry...

I was expecting to read the discussion. Just stating shortcomings exist does not mean anything to a programmer.

Once again we have somebody's product promo masquerading as "industry news". I guess this CTO doesn't know what an app framework is, or that there are excellent free ones like Struts that address his phony gripes.

Java is just like .Net, XML, SOAP, web services, and similar systems -- yes, it's easier to program, but it has speed, memory and maintainability problems. Check out this XML performance stuff, for example, actual *hardware* to make SOAP faster:
http://www.datapower.com

Maybe the java chip will be back

This is just self-serving marketing pablum. There is zero substance given to evaluate any of these overblown claims, and as a Delphi/Vb/C#/.Net/Java programmer, I see nothing special about Java's shortcomings.

Well, I've always thought that the Collections frame work needed help. Does your framework offer anything to ameliorate this issue?


Your Feedback
Bart wrote: ... but how exactly did it end up as a technical article in a developer's journal? Somebody put their kneepads on for that one.
taxpayer wrote: My KISS solution is to hire skilled OO programmers with an experienced tech lead and then use the tools already proven. It's apparent that this "news" item slipped in when the editor was doing his/her taxes. I agree with the others that this article is less than useless. The problem statement assumes that companies have hired inept programmers who don't know better: "It is still too easy to write code that is difficult to maintain, slow to run, and uses too much memory." The problem is a recruiting/training problem!
Fernnado Lozano wrote: Please don't fill up my mailbox with crap like that news. It gives no usefull info except the company has released a new product. You (SYS-CON) should at least publish a link where we can read about the risks: what are they, how they appear on java projects and how to fight them. There's no need for another product promising to cure the cancer and bing world peace. Let me restate that I agreed to recebve mail from sys-con to get INFORMATION not USELESS MARKETING
Jay wrote: "It is still too easy to write code that is difficult to maintain, slow to run, and uses too much memory." - Dixon (self-professed or JDJ-awarded "visionary"? - what Valley spin...) " Teamstudio's software tools specifically address Java's deficiencies." - no kidding... It is easy to write code in any language that is difficult to meantain, slow to run and uses too much memory. Most of such code is written by not-so-good programmers. Where's the big surprise here? As long as developers need to develop too quickly, with too little time to design, implement and test properly, and infrastructure guys who still don't know how to run and tune Application Servers, we will see code that takes too much memory, is difficult to maintain, and slow to run... If everything needs to be done on the cheap and too quickly, this will continue, with whichever language might be next. Story of the prop...
Bhaskar Somanchi wrote: I was expecting to read the discussion. Just stating shortcomings exist does not mean anything to a programmer.
cheesemelt wrote: Once again we have somebody's product promo masquerading as "industry news". I guess this CTO doesn't know what an app framework is, or that there are excellent free ones like Struts that address his phony gripes.
George McConachy wrote: Java is just like .Net, XML, SOAP, web services, and similar systems -- yes, it's easier to program, but it has speed, memory and maintainability problems. Check out this XML performance stuff, for example, actual *hardware* to make SOAP faster: http://www.datapower.com Maybe the java chip will be back
R Ruff wrote: This is just self-serving marketing pablum. There is zero substance given to evaluate any of these overblown claims, and as a Delphi/Vb/C#/.Net/Java programmer, I see nothing special about Java's shortcomings.
Phil Gibbs wrote: Well, I've always thought that the Collections frame work needed help. Does your framework offer anything to ameliorate this issue?
Latest AJAXWorld RIA Stories
22nd International Cloud Expo, taking place June 5-7, 2018, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and co-located with the 1st DXWorld Expo will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is no...
CloudEXPO New York 2018, colocated with DXWorldEXPO New York 2018 will be held November 11-13, 2018, in New York City and will bring together Cloud Computing, FinTech and Blockchain, Digital Transformation, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, AI, Machine Learning and WebRTC to...
DXWorldEXPO | CloudEXPO are the world's most influential, independent events where Cloud Computing was coined and where technology buyers and vendors meet to experience and discuss the big picture of Digital Transformation and all of the strategies, tactics, and tools they need t...
"We're developing a software that is based on the cloud environment and we are providing those services to corporations and the general public," explained Seungmin Kim, CEO/CTO of SM Systems Inc., in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 21st Cloud Expo, held Oct 31 – Nov 2, 2017, at the ...
"MobiDev is a software development company and we do complex, custom software development for everybody from entrepreneurs to large enterprises," explained Alan Winters, U.S. Head of Business Development at MobiDev, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 21st Cloud Expo, held Oct 31 – N...
Subscribe to the World's Most Powerful Newsletters
Subscribe to Our Rss Feeds & Get Your SYS-CON News Live!
Click to Add our RSS Feeds to the Service of Your Choice:
Google Reader or Homepage Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe with Bloglines Subscribe in NewsGator Online
myFeedster Add to My AOL Subscribe in Rojo Add 'Hugg' to Newsburst from CNET News.com Kinja Digest View Additional SYS-CON Feeds
Publish Your Article! Please send it to editorial(at)sys-con.com!

Advertise on this site! Contact advertising(at)sys-con.com! 201 802-3021


SYS-CON Featured Whitepapers
ADS BY GOOGLE