Cisco Aims Higher Even Than Cloud Computing
Company goal is "to become the best company in the world, and the best company for the world"
Nov. 15, 2008 08:35 AM
"It's a chance for Cisco to participate on a bigger scale, helping to bring peace to the world. Is that too big a dream?...(long pause)...Maybe." With that thought Cisco CEO John Chambers ends an interview published this week by BusinessWeek in which he reveals that Cisco's cloud computing ambitions are nothing compared to its terrestrial goal, which is "to become the best company in the world, and the best company for the world."
Speaking with BW's Peter Burrows, Chambers explains Cisco's activities vis-a-vis emerging markets such as China, India, and the Middle East. And he mentions how King Abdullah of Jordan personally reached out to him saying "John, you'll make a lot of money in Jordan and the Middle East."
You can read the interview in full here.
Cisco has been in the headlines too recently for its Cloud Computing initiatives. David Bernstein, whose team runs Cisco's internal Cloud Computing platform, is a speaker at SYS-CON's upcoming Cloud Computing Expo next week in San Jose, CA.
Bernstein will be giving a breakout session called "The Network as a Cloud Fabric - Where It Is and Where It's Going."
The 1st International Cloud Computing Conference & Expo has, in addition to Bernstein, a star-studded lineup of speakers, including:
- Dr Werner Vogels - VP & CTO, Amazon.com (Keynote)
- Mike Feinberg - Senior Vice President, Cloud Infrastructure Group, EMC
- Steve Herrod, CTO, VMware
- Rob Weltman - Director of Grid Services, Yahoo!
- Peter Nickolov - President CTO, 3tera
- Kevin Haar - President & CEO, Appistry
- Songnian Zhou - Co-Founder & CEO, Platform Computing
- Patrick Harr - CEO, Nirvanix
- Gerrit Huizenga - Cloud Solutions Architect, IBM
- John Keagy - CEO & Co-Founder, GoGrid/ServePath
- Sajai Krishnan - CEO, ParaScale
- Reuven Cohen - Founder & Chief Technologist, Enomaly
- Mike Eaton - CEO, Cloudworks
- Jonathan Bryce - Founder at Mosso (Rackspace)
- Nati Shalom - CTO, GigaSpaces
- Don MacAskill - CEO & Chief Geek, SmugMug
- Billy Marshall - Founder & Chief Strategy Officer, rPath
- Dr Thorsten von Eicken - CTO & Founder, RightScale
- Jonathan Pyke - Chief Strategy Officer, Cordys
- Jason Stowe - Founder & CEO, Cycle Computing
- David Young - Co-Founder & CEO, Joyent
- Dave Durkee - Founder, CEO & Technical Director, ENKI
- John Janakiraman - CTO, Skytap
- Stuart Charlton - Chief Software Architect, Elastra
- Lars Leckie, Principal, Hummer Winblad Venture Partners
- Dr Rich Wolski - Professor, U.C. Santa Barbara
- Javier Soltero - Co-Founder & CEO of Hyperic
- Omer Trajman - Director of Field Engineering, Vertica Systems
- Rachel Chalmers - Senior Analyst, Enterprise Software, The 451 Group
and with a special Cloud Bootcamp on November 20 led by
- Alan Williamson, Founder at Blog-City.com, Creator of BlueDragon
All breakout sessions are all listed in further detail here.
Speaker Faculty - SYS-CON's 1st International Cloud Computing Conference & Expo
Register Today for Cloud Computing Expo and Save $100 !
Sponsorship and Exhibit Opportunities
Sponsorship and Exhibit Opportunities Offered on a First-Come First-Served Basis. To inquire about sponsorship and exhibit opportunities please contact Carmen Gonzalez at 201-802-3021 or by email at events(at)sys-con.com. Currently, a limited number of sponsorship and exhibition packages with multiple sponsorship discounts are available for the upcoming events.